How to make adjustable ear ties for your mask
New Fabric Coming Soon!
Rae is drawing some cool Pokemon sticker faces of the original Pokemon. I just love her drawing style and I hope you will,too. As soon as I get the final draft, I’ll send it off to the fabric printers. I hope to have something new to show you by early September. Check back for some great Back-to-School and Work masks to make those days more fun! You can also visit our Facebook page for updates on new fabrics, masks, and patterns.
To change your ties from around the head to around the ear, follow these instructions.
Use your tie that came with the mask, or use your favorite tie material like yarn, ribbon, or elastic.
1) Cut the string that came with your mask in half.
2) You will have two strings on both sides of your mask
3) I have colored the ties in these pictures for instructional purposes. The PURPLE end is the stationary tie and does not move, while the ORANGE end is the movable tie.
Your strings/ties will be different colors and will NOT have an actual purple or orange end.
Note that the movable/adjustable tie (the part you pull down to adjust the fit) will always be on the top part of the mask – the part you place on the bridge of your nose.
4) Hold the adjustable end of your tie so it’s resting on your finger as pictured. This end should be facing the BOTTOM of your mask.
Note how the orange/moveable string is facing towards the bottom of the mask.
5) Wrap the purple end of the string over the orange, under your finger, and to the left of the purple string as shown in the picture.
Note – I’ve moved the mask in this picture to make it easier to work on the ties.
6) Repeat one more time so you have two purple loops around the orange end and your finger as shown.
7) Feed the purple end UNDER the loops you just created, going from right to left.
8) This is how it should look at this point.
9) Pull on both ends of the purple string to tighten. Take care to not let the orange string slip out. The tighter you make this knot, the more secure your ear strap will be.
10) Tie a knot at the end of the purple string close to the slide knot you just made and cut off any excess.
11) Try on the mask and adjust the fit. When happy with the fit, tie a knot in the orange end of the string and cut off any excess.
Repeat for the other side, keeping in mind the movable end should always face the bottom of the mask.