Kiwi Notebook Cover Spiral & Composition
The Kiwi Notebook cover offers 2 sizes of notebook covers – Spiral Notebooks and Composition Notebooks. Also includes the Kiwi Resize – an Excel form that when given the height, width and spine height, will give the cut sheet for ANY size cover!
Kiwi Notebook Cover
Skill Level: Confident Beginner Level.
The Kiwi Notebook cover offers 2 sizes of notebook covers – Spiral Notebooks and Composition Notebooks. PLUS, you will receive an Excel spread sheet that will allow you to create your own size Kiwi Cover! Just input the height, width and spine height, click print and you will have a cut sheet for any size you want! (to use the spread sheet, you must have an Excel, Excel viewer, or Excel compatible software).
The Kiwi notebook cover is completely customizable in size and what you include inside your cover. The pattern comes with:
- color pictures and instructions on how to make the standard Kiwi Notebook Cover and includes suggestions and instructions on how to customize your cover with different closures and pockets. This file also includes a link to download your FREE Excel spreadsheet that will create a cut sheet for any size notebook, binder, or book!
- all the pattern pieces to make a notebook cover for a standard U.S. size spiral notebook, plus a cut sheet if you prefer to not use the pattern pieces.
- all the pattern pieces to make a notebook cover for a standard U.S. size composition notebook, plus a cut sheet if you prefer to not use the pattern pieces.
- The Kiwi Resize Spread Sheet!
The Kiwi Notebook Cover features a pencil pocket on the outside that will hold your pens, pencils, or highlighters. On the inside front cover there are 2 flaps to stash your papers. On the small inside flap, there is a zipper pocket where you can store money, flash drives and other treasures. The back of the Kiwi includes one large flap.
This pattern is a starting point for you to make a fun notebook cover. Don’t like all those flaps to hold your papers? Don’t use them. Have no use for the zipper pocket? Leave it out! Do you only want one flap on the front and none on the back – go for it! Just skip over the steps for the pieces you don’t want to include. There are several options for modifications in the back of the pattern.
Sizing / Finished Measurements:
- U.S. Spiral and Composition notebook sizes
- Fabric 1: 36″ x 14″ This is used for the outside main fabric, and small flap on inside. (about 1/2 yard)
- Fabric 2: 32″ x 15″ This is used for large flaps, outside pocket lining and tabs. (about 1/2 yard)
- Fabric 3: 34″ x 14″ This is for the panels inside that will hold the notebook in place (Inside Panels). (just over 1/4 yard)
- Fabric 4: 20″ x 13″ (Fat Quarter) This is for the panel that is in the back of the notebook. You’ll see this only when the notebook is not in the cover, but you can see a little bit of it in the middle top and bottom of the notebook when it is open.
- Fabric 5: 6″ x 13″This is the fabric you will use on the spine of the notebook on the outside.
- **If you’re using directional fabric, you may need more fabric than what’s listed.
- Pellon Flex Foam 5″ x 11 1/2″ This will give the spine the same height as the rest of the notebook
- Pellon 71F: 2 @ 1.5″ x1.5″ Stabilizer like Pellon 71F Peltex
You Will Also Need:
- 1 magnetic snap
- 1 Zipper – 5″ or 7″.
- Heavy duty needle for topstitching final cover
- Fabric appropriate needle for regular sewing
©2016 RaeBean Sewing Patterns by Laurene Craig. All Rights Reserved.
By purchasing this RaeBean Sewing Pattern, you are purchasing a production license. You may sell the items you make from this pattern and sell in small quantities. For example, you can sell at craft shows and personal online shops like Etsy. If you sell online, a link back to the pattern will be much appreciated. A commonly used phrase for this is “Item made using RaeBean Collection pattern”.